Wednesday 23 April 2014

A few notes on poetry appreciation.

Trip from Rugby to what are generally known as the prison moorings, there being a large house of correction nearby.


Ex L.M.S. butty Alsager and tug Zulu were moored by the golf course, both in fine fettle.

As was Barrow which we passed later.

At Hillmorton Jill decided it was her turn to do the locks, I've been entrusted with the task since we left the Shroppie but as we're heading for Braunston Locks she has handed the steering back to me. She is not keen on steering wide locks.



The notorious poetry on the lock beams. I fail to see why some people have a problem with it. My appreciation of poetry is generally limited to poems with five lines, the first of which normally refers to the geographical origins of a young lady. Very few of them are suitable for mixed company.

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical.
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.

Watch this space...........




2 comments:

Ms. Blake said...

I love the poetry on the beams! They remind me of the old Burma Shave signs that were placed along the roads here in the U.S. Love your blog and wish you many more years of adventures!

Graham and Jill Findlay said...

Thank you Ms. Blake, we're always pleased to hear from anyone who reads our efforts.