Saturday, 6 July 2013

Jill gets her barnet sorted at The Floating Salon.

It was down the Seend Locks today, we started early(ish) as Jill had an appointment with the hairdresser at 1030.

It was moored opposite The Barge at Seend Cleeve. We were there in plenty of time.

The young lady made a jolly good job of it as well. When Jill sees that I've put this on the blog I think I may get a right ear bending. Bless her.
On the way we passed the field with the elusive llama and we caught him by surprise,

he didn't have time to hide this time.

The bridges on this section were originally built of the local stone, which is liable to erode fairly rapidly. Once the G.W.R. took the canal over it was never likely they would spend money replacing expensive stone as it deteriorated. Which is why they are now a patchwork of stone and cheaper brick.
We went for lunch at The Barge, all I can say is, if you're passing this way, don't bother. When the food eventually arrived it had obviously been sitting in the hot plate while we waited. After the main course we gave up waiting for our cheese and biscuits and coffee. We cancelled the rest of the order and left, after I had made my displeasure known.
We are going to have a couple of days here, below the bottom lock. Hopefully a lot of the boats that have been haring past us today are just catching a weekend of fine weather. In this neck of the woods they don't seem to have caught on to the idea of slowing down while passing moored boats.

Watch this space........


Anonymous said...

The Barge must have been having a bad day! We've been there many times and don't really have a bad word to say about it other than it's not cheap but i would say it's usually a case of you get what you pay for. Paula

Graham and Jill Findlay said...

I can only speak as I find. When the food eventually arrived, after three quarters of an hour, it was dried out and frankly mediocre. Places like The Barge can't afford to have bad days as word soon spreads. Unfortunately we didn't get what we paid for.