We left our rural mooring, between bridges thirty three and thirty four on the Grand Union, at about nine thirty this morning. Another cold start and as we travelled the wind started to get up making it feel even colder. Our intention was to stop at Stoke Bruerne, looking at tomorrow's weather forecast we really don't want to be on the move.
The building in the background is Blisworth Mill, a flour mill built in 1879 by Joseph Westley, it was subsequently bought by the local co-op who, in the nineteen thirties, sold it to the G.U.C.Co. who converted it to a warehouse, causing much local unemployment. During W.W.II it was used as a food store but is now converted into flats.
Blisworth's main claim to fame is, of course, the tunnel,
The tunnel never had a towpath so all boats had to be legged through, the professional leggers at Blisworth were in the habit of threatening boat's crews who did not employ them and so, in 1827, the leggers were registered and issued with a brass armlet for identification and it was probably at that time the shelters
Blisworth has always been a wet tunnel but today it surpassed itself,
The tunnel was closed for four years in the 1980's for repairs, re-opening in 1984. A lengthy section was relined with concrete rings,
Having traversed Stoke Bruerne we are now moored below the second lock of the flight.
Watch this space.............