Frankton Locks, winter opening 1200 to 1400, we arrived at 1030 so there was time for a recce. Promptly at 1200 the lock keeper turned up, off came the padlocks and we were on our way down, the only boat booked through the flight today.
The top two locks are a staircase,
Below the staircase there are two more locks, the top one of which has this plaque attached,
After clearing the locks we turned into what remains of the Weston Branch. This was originally going to go as far as Shrewsbury but owing to shortage of cash it only ever went five and a half miles to the village of Weston Lullingfields. It opened in 1797 and closed, after a breach, in 1917.
Tomorrow we intend a spring clean.
Watch this space..............