A warning about carbon monoxide:-
Our normal routine after raking the stove out is to empty the ash pan into a galvanised bucket that spends its life in the front well under the cratch cover. When cooled the ash is disposed of in a proper manner. Yesterday evening our carbon monoxide alarm suddenly shattered the peace. The only source could be the stove so I made a careful examination of every part, door seals were ok, no cracks in the flue pipe, I even shoved my patent chimney scraper down the pipe to make sure it wasn't obstructed, all seemed fine but still the CO level in the cabin was way up. I decided that the fire would have to go, shovel the hot coals out into the bucket and dump them in the cut was plan A. When I picked the bucket up I realised it was somewhat warm, bells started ringing in what passes for my brain and I promptly poured the ash into the water, not something I would normally do but this seemed a bit urgent, in the middle of the ash was a lovely little layer of burning. What must of happened was that as I raked the stove some unburnt coal dust had also gone into the ash pan and continued to smolder, no outward sign of combustion just an insidious release of CO. The level soon returned to normal and all was well. Without the alarm it could have been a whole different story, so watch your hot ash and get an alarm!!!
Today we set off along the unrestored section for a nose at what is going on. This is the end of the navigable section,
Watch this space...............